Runaway Photo: KK Night Market, Borneo, Malaysia

Malaysia-Kota-Kinabalu-Borneo

Before I say anything, I confess, this fish in the main photo scared me. I have no idea what’s the name of the fish but I didn’t think the colour was eatable. I mean, have you seen anything eatable in fluorescent colour in natural condition? I haven’t except some candy. But I guess that’s just because of my narrow minded view of the world.

KK night market was wet, splash, dripping and mostly fun. What I liked about in this lively neighbourhood was most of the people eating and buying were the people who were living there, not many travelers like us. They were buying well crafted fish for their dinner at home. Handy work by seasoned fish vendors was very amusing to watch. It reminded me of a traditional market in Korea in the old days. Korea had this similar type of market, and still does in some places.

Though the vendors were extremely kind to visitors. Obviously they’ve met lots of travelers and taken photos by them. I met many vendors were willing to pose for my photo. They smiled, made an eye contact with my camera, and one guy actually made a very funny impression with one of his fish. I got that on video.

Don’t forget to have a dinner at KK night market. You can pick whatever you want and they will cook for you right at the spot. With too many and broad choices… Tiger prawn – for the first time in my life- and squid were the victims of the night for me. And they were delicious! Sorry guys.. but girls gotta eat!

It was pleasant to walk around. Surrounded by happy people. Be aware of fish juice though. It is everywhere!

Kota Kinabalu Night Market - Fish

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market - buying fish

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market

Kota Kinabalu Night Market - grilled fish

Kota Kinabalu Night Market - deserts

By Juno Kim on May 25, 2011 · Posted in Runaway Photos, Runaway to

32 Comments | Post Comment

Stephen says:

Hah! Those fish are the same color as your Cocktails in a Bag from Seoul !

Great photos as usual. The KK night market is every bit as vibrant as your photos show.

Posted on May 25th, 2011

Ciki says:

Oh man..what great shots woman!! To think you were in KK and didn’t even come and see me. Somebody needs a good spanking:P HAHA

Posted on May 25th, 2011

Ceri says:

I love walking around markets but, dear god, as a vegetarian the fish in these photos scared me. Haha.

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Leslie (Downtown Traveler) says:

Poor little fishies! Those blue ones are so exotic. I’ve never seen fish like those at my supermarket. Great photos :)

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Giulia says:

Great pics sis! As usual:)
This market looks very nice,
I’ve been to Tokyo fish market but it was kinda gross, maybe too big (too many poor dead fish, sigh)
(But fresh sashimi was delicious *cough*)
Flying to the Flickr album to see more pics:)
And probably I wouldn’t eat anything fluorescent unless candies, too :p

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Juno says:

Thanks for the high compliment on my photos.
And, in Vinyl (the name of the cocktail place)’s defence, they were already artificial! So we had it even though we already knew it’s bad for us… ?! Make sense much?!

Posted on May 26th, 2011

*guilty*
That’s me. I need some spanking. I’ll prepare for it when I come KL next time! Should bring a butt pad haha!

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Juno says:

Oh hun, this is not the place for you then. You might faint in the middle of the fish juice alley!!!

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Michael Hodson says:

these are some really lovely photos, Juno. You’ve got a heck of a lot of talent!

Posted on May 26th, 2011

John says:

Superb photos. Looks like a great night. I just hope that they were fished responsibly, as the seas are being overfished. But they don’t look as if they have come from industrial scale fishing to me.

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Tobias says:

Wow, such colorful fish. Great photos, i enjoyed this alot! :)

Posted on May 26th, 2011

Deb says:

Great photos Juno! You really captures the energy of the night market and even if the fish were scary, they made for a super picture:-) I don’t think I’d eat fluorescent coloured fish either.

Tijmen says:

The blue fish does look a bit odd, would love to know the name of it. You dont get them like that in the supermarket in Europe :) I do really love fresh fish though, that market would be great place to have dinner every night for me :)

Juno says:

No, not even in Seoul! :) I think they told me but it slipped my mind. I was just so fascinated by them!
Yes, it would be great if we can eat there every night! Fresh cooked and those fish were so fresh! I had tiger prawn for the first time in my life, and that was really fresh. Grrreat!

Juno says:

Thanks Deb!!! The energy was so vibrant, along with the scary fish! Even though I’m not the best fan of seafood in the world, I felt like I could eat any of those in the market, even the fluorescent one!

Juno says:

Thanks Michael!! Didn’t you know? Talent is my middle name! (what?)

Juno says:

Glad you did Tobias! Thanks!!

Juno says:

Thanks sis! Yes I’ve seen photos of Tokyo fish market and that was one interesting place. Here in KK, I’ve seen huge fish but not like that. It’s more fun and intimate. Maybe I just like that place so much. :)
And yes, fresh sashimi.. *ahem* so nice.

Juno says:

Yes, I think this is not the place for your dinner out! :D Yes they are exotic, right? Maybe I should’ve eat those..

Randy says:

Nice work! Love these shots. While I’m a huge fan of fish markets, I’m not really a big fan of fish, aside from sushi. I’m working on changing that though, and who knows may be the blue fish in the first photo taste so good it would change my perception of fish forever :)

Juno says:

Thanks Randy! I think I’m like you. I’m a fan of fish markets, but not really a big fan of sea food. We should totally get that blue fish to test it, if it can change us! Yay! One more reason to go back to KK!! :)

Jack says:

Superb photos. The blue fish are very strange…they look like something you’d expect the Na’vi in Avatar to eat :)

Abi says:

Love the photos of the blue fish – and all the colours at night. Great stuff.

Juno says:

Thanks Abi! The blue fish has been quite popular for the past few days! :) Now I think of it, I should’ve tasted that!

Posted on May 28th, 2011

Juno says:

Thanks Jack! Na’vi! Totally, I didn’t think of that. Avatar all over again! Looks little strange, aye?

Posted on May 28th, 2011

Andrea says:

Beautiful photos, Juno – looks like a great market! Fish markets are always great because you can watch the locals and check out different types of fish.

Posted on May 28th, 2011

Erica says:

These are fantastic Juno – probably some of my most favorite pictures of yours yet! Love the colors and the saturation – the movement makes it seem so alive.

Posted on May 30th, 2011

Juno says:

Thanks Erica! :) It was a vibrant place. Glad I captured the right moment!

Posted on May 31st, 2011

tirza says:

Hi Juno, I just found your great blog. I’m from Indonesia and not far from Kota Kinibalu.
I think I recognize that fluorescent blue fish :)
It’s parrot fish, you may check wikipedia about it.

Many people love to eat it, but actually parrot fish should be protected in order to preserve the corral reefs life.

Posted on June 4th, 2011

Gayle Miller says:

Thanks Jack! Great photos as usual.

Posted on December 9th, 2011

Ryan McCoy says:

Not the biggest fan of the taste of fish, but I am a big fan of your photography! Especially that last shot.

Posted on April 19th, 2012

Juno says:

Thanks! :) It was really a vivid coloured market!

Posted on April 19th, 2012