Runaway Food A-Z : A is for America

Visit the introduce page for Runaway Food A-Z Project

For our first session, there was a heated conversation about what should we choose between America and Austria. Both would be the perfect choice for A, but we decided to go with America. It’s easy, familiar and fun, we thought. And there was a second heated conversation about what kind of food should we choose. After a long (not so much) discussion with a lot of options such as classic American diner, we agreed on Taco Bell. Reason why? What’s more American than a Tex-Mex fast food?

The World’s longest fast food ever

#Where? Taco Bell @ Itaewon, Korea. The first Taco Bell in Korea

#Why? What is more American then a Tex-Mex fast food?

#How? This video will explain..

#Score? Revisit-ability : 79 (out of 110)

Authenticity19 / 20
Atmosphere7  / 20
Taste10 / 20
Budget friendly15 / 20
Accessibility18 / 20
(extra) Fun-ability10/10
Total69 + 10 = 79

It was a fine American food (certified by Katie, the local), but I wouldn’t come again by myself. We had world’s the longest fast food ever – but that’s because I was with a fine company and we had a lot of fun. It was too noisy, just like any other fast food restaurant, and too loud and too pop-y music was playing the whole time. It’s normal in fast food world but just wasn’t our taste.

It’s definitely easy to access and budget friendly compare to other American fast food chain. We got each meal (main course + soda + nacho) for under 5000 won (USD 5).

And, I give 10 perfect point for Fun-ability.  Because we had the world’s longest fast food ever. Taco Bell got Revisit-ability point as 79 out of 110.

“Go Big, or Go Home”

#Behind story

I guess, Austria was in our faith. We had to chance seat after seat because it was hard to take a video in some spot due to all the lights from the window. Third spot we finally settled, and there was this moment when Katie went to toilet… I looked out the window and guess what is right in front of the window? “Austria food&cafe”. Unbelievable! Yes, it was a faith, doing A today and choice between America and Austria. Sorry Austria…!

#Follow our step

Visit Runaway Food A-Z Flickr page for more photos and YouTube channel for the video.

Please tune in for our next expedition, with the letter B.

Guess which country is going to be as B….?

About Juno Kim

12 Responses to “Runaway Food A-Z : A is for America”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Deb says:

What a great idea to visit foods of the world in your own country. I love Taco Bell, I admit it:) It is very reasonable too. I think that I may have to go out and get a burrito from there today! I’m hungry.

2. Melvin says:

“What the shell?”… Maybe they meant: “Where’s the hell?” LOL

Fun video & nicely done! I like the intro! Sad that it was so loudy in that place… but still great vid!

3. Andrea says:

I love Taco Bell too! It’s so cheap and good…

4. Randy says:

Awesome video! My first job was at Taco Bell. That was 1995. After all these years, I still like Taco Bell; though, some of their classics the 7-layer burrito and burrito supreme have gotten a little pricey. However, they still have great deals. Now, I generally get a bean burrito and cheesy nachos (both 99 cents each.)

• Juno says:

99 cents?? That’s a deal! I don’t know how much other menus are though.. but we got one meal under 5 bucks so I think that’s pretty reasonable than other fast foods.

5. danib says:

Nooo! Taco Bell is the furthest thing from real tex mex! In america Taco Bell is stoner food…horrible but cheap stoner food! (And texmex is really only american southwest food…in the northeast its pizza and deli food, in florida its cuban food, in cali its organic food, and so on).

I feel so bad that you equate taco bell to american food. Hahaha. But I guess unfort is american. But please please please don’t think Taco Bell is typical american food. I know we are fast food nation, but even Taco Bell is the laughing stock of the fast food world. :-)

• Juno says:

Danib, don’t worry we know better. :) We didn’t choose Taco Bell because it is the best American food, we choose it because it’s a delight, funny, easy, and familiar start of the project. It is born in US though, right? We are not seeking the best food in the world, that’s not our purpose. And I want to assure you that I know fast food does not represent of US food.
      If I may ask, what would say what is the best American cuisine?

6. Juno says:

I think I’m addicted to this video… Hahaha!! Spent way too much time edit the video and made the post!! :)

7. Steven says:

Mmmm, Tace Bell. I’m surprised you used a country music track for the video. Have many Koreans heard country music before???

8. James @ Fast Food Franchise Opportunities says:

I love jolibee! Has anyone tried it? It’s basically the same as Mcdonalds.